X with ssh, (was Novell to acquire Suse)

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Sat Nov 8 08:09:25 EST 2003

Thanks for the useful ideas, unfortunately I was traveling around
yesterday and couldn't test them. More below:

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 18:26, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> >> Can you run a test on a failing system with the sshd daemon in debug mode
> >> (foreground, verbose output to console, single connection only, no
> >> forking)?  While you pretty much need local access (since you're testing
> >> your remote access method), the output can be very informative.
> >
> > This is a little more involved.
>
>   Yes, it is.  Unfortunately, the more we look at this, the more I think
> you're going to have to do this.
>
>   If SSH is in production use, you can try creating another instance of sshd
> on a different port, and using that for debugging.  For example:
>
> 	sshd -d -e -p 26
>
> That asks sshd to run in debug mode (-d), to send debug output to stderr
> instead of syslog (-e), and to bind and listen on port 26 (-p 26).  Specify
> "-d" multiple times to increase verboseness.  In debug mode, sshd does not
> fork, runs in the foreground, generates debugging output, allows only one
> session, and exits when the session closes.

I'll give this a try on Monday to see what it reveals. At this point I'm
becoming more and more convinced that the core of the problem is just
missing package(s) on the system that has no X server. Hopefully the
test will provide a clue as to what might be missing.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director