verizon email problems continued

Joshua S. Freeman jfreeman at threeofus.com
Tue Nov 11 15:03:55 EST 2003

Hi Ed,

Thanks for responding.

Basically, I have a machine on the network at my house up in Boston (we
live in Westchester, NY now... ).  The machine is at 199.232.38.4.  It
runs sendmail, apache, dns, etc.. for my threeofus.com domain as well as
a bunch of other domains.

I don't have IMAP installed on that machine yet.. or, rather, I don't
have it configured yet.  It's running RH 6.2... I forget which kernel...

The important point for this conversation is that I manage (ineptly) my
own DNS... i have a /etc/named.conf file and a bunch of files in
/var/named/ ...

In westchester, our ISP is the cable company.. optonline.net.

My wife has some friends who use Verizon as THEIR isp.

Their email addresses are username at verizon.net.

My wife receives their mail just fine.

My wife's computer uses optonline.net for smtp.

verizon.net seems to be rejecting the email she sends to her friends on
verizon because, I think, her (my wife) email address is
monica at threeofus.com and she's using optonline's smtp server..

Something like that.

Verizon's servers are blowing all the mail back to her... and not
delivering it.

This is the problem.

I'll have her send me an example email with the headers intact.

J.

--
------
Joshua S. Freeman