Verizon email problems

Ed Robbins ed at erobbins.com
Tue Nov 11 17:30:24 EST 2003

Hey everyone,

Joshua asked me to summarize my findings on his email problem.  The lack
of an MX record for the domain threeofus.com is what appears to be
triggering it.  To investigate I telneted to relay.verizon.net on port
25 did my greeting and then issued  mail from:ed at erobbins.com.  Lo and
behold it was rejected with the same message that his wife was getting.

Ok, I knew I had a valid mx entry so I went to my mail server and
discovered that verizon attempted to send me email.  Really what they
where doing is going through the process until they receive the
Recipient Ok message.  It just so happens that I had a Level 3 spam
filter running and it blocked verizon from getting this far.  Aha!

Ok, I fixed that and tried it again, but I had the same result...hmmm.
I bet they blacklisted my address, I have found this to be a pretty
typical thing that is done.  Ok, onto my next attempt.  I have several
domains setup so I picked one and made sure everything was configured
correctly and eureka!  It worked.

Now the question is, how long is my email address blacklisted for????

Ed