Verizon email problems

Ed Robbins ed at erobbins.com
Tue Nov 11 23:23:13 EST 2003

Bruce Dawson wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 17:43, Ed Robbins wrote:
>

>>Bruce Dawson wrote:

>>>I suspect its not really blacklisted, but denied because of:
>>>
>>>   [jbd at bruce jbd]$ host edrobbins.com
>>>   edrobbins.com has address 216.21.229.209
>>>   [jbd at bruce jbd]$ host 216.21.229.209
>>>   Host 209.229.21.216.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>>>
>>>You too have no reverse DNS entry for your IP address.
>>>

>>>Actually I do, you used the wrong domain name.  It's erobbins.com
>>>

>Yipes! Thanks for showing me up ;-)  (Someday I'll be a better
>proof-reader).
>
>Are you in any of the RBLs?
>
>--Bruce

 :-) I've been guilty of bad proof reading many times!  It's that shoot
first ask questions later mentality that I have, gets me into trouble
all the time.  I'm on your side, I'm a strong proponent of reverse DNS
and would love to enable it as a filter on my mail server but sadly I
think I would miss a lot of email that way.

I don't believe I'm on any black lists but that doesn't mean that the IP
block my servers are on isn't.  Unfortunately there isn't much I can do
about that.  Interestingly I just attempted to hit Verizon's mail server
using my domain and it's working now, so if they are blacklisting it
appears to be for a short time.

Ed

Here's a