Group Calendaring

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Fri Nov 14 15:49:28 EST 2003

I struggled earlier this year with trying to find and implement a group
calendaring solution that used Free Technology and was accessible to
both Linux and Windows clients.  I mostly failed, but learned a lot
about the state of the art in this area, plus the existing standards
such as iCal.

Today I found out that the Open Source Development Labs (where Linus
works) did pretty much the same thing, evaluating

    * Exchange4Linux
    * SuSE OpenExchange
    * Samsung Contact (was HP OpenMail)
    * Bynari InsightServer
    * eCal Calendar Server
    * SunONE Calendar Server
    * MeetingMaker
    * Crosswind Synchronize
    * Oracle CorporateTime
    * Lotus Notes
    * Novell Groupwise
    * Microsoft Exchange

and published their results on their website.  I know there has been
discussion of this topic on this list, so I figures some would enjoy
looking at their findings.

  http://osdl.org/projects/cmptblclndrng/results/

btw, we ended up just using regular meetings, and whiteboards to share
our calendars.

Greg

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business
Free and Open Source Software
http://www.freephile.com
(978) 270-2425
   It is either through the influence of narcotic potions, of which all
primitive peoples and races speak in hymns, or through the powerful approach
of spring, penetrating with joy all of nature, that those Dionysian
stirrings
arise, which in their intensification lead the individual to forget himself
completely. . . .Not only does the bond between man and man come to be
forged
once again by the magic of the Dionysian rite, but alienated, hostile, or
subjugated nature again celebrates her reconciliation with her prodigal son,
man.
- Fred Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy