Personal database software for *nix?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 24 22:10:30 EST 2003

Hello world,

  Does anybody have any knowledge on personal database software for Linux?

  I just-now made up the term "personal database software", although I would
be astounded if I'm the first person to do so.  I'm thinking about something
kinda like Microsoft Access or Borland Paradox, but I'm not much interested
in the programming/SQL stuff (although I certainly won't complain if it is
there).  All I want is something that will let me quickly and easily create
fields in a table, and link between tables.

  Quick-and-easy is the primary feature here.  This is the kinda thing that
could almost be done in a flat text file, but not quite.  The classic
example applications for this kind of program are an address book or a CD
catalog.  (Yes, I know there are a bajillion of those out there already.
Hence, "example".)  I want to be able to separate data from presentation,
and give it a little bit of semantic spin, to make entry and retrieval more
flexible then a flat text file.

  I think anything web-based can be ruled out, because HTML is inherently a
non-interactive medium (and crap like Java, JavaScript, ActiveX, etc., tends
to be... crap).  I want to be able to page through rows and rows of records
easily.  I want to be able to drag column headings around quickly.  I don't
want to wait for web pages to load, or for Java to do whatever it is that
Java does when it goes off into hyperspace for seconds at a time.

  Frontends to MySQL, et. al., are not desired unless they also meet the
quick-and-easy requirement described above.  Even then, I feel that running
a full-blown database server is not the Right Thing here.  For one, it's
just plain overkill.  KISS principle applies.  For another, I'd like to be
able to easily schlep the data files around, and I can't do that if they're
tied up in some database service somewhere.  (I supposed an embedded
instance of MySQL or whatever would be appropriate.)  Point is, I want the
files to be files when I don't have the UI running, and I want to be able to
point the UI at any given location in a filesystem to find data.  I'm
willing to give up the schlepability (now *that's* a word) and use something
like MySQL if that's the only way to get what I want, though.

  I suspect I want something GUI.  1920 character cells just aren't enough
sometimes.  I'm prepared to be surprised, though.  Extra worthless bonus
points to something that provides both GUI and text interfaces.

  Feel free to point out the obvious.  I may be missing it.

  advTHANKSance

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>