Red Hat

Bob Bell bbell at hp.com
Mon Oct 6 13:03:38 EDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:17:57AM -0400, bscott at ntisys.com <bscott at ntisys.com> wrote:
>   There's at least one project that exists to independently build binary
> RPMs for RHEL, from the SRPMs which RHS must, by law, provide.  See:
>
> http://www2.uibk.ac.at/zid/software/unix/linux/rhel-rebuild-l.html
> http://www2.uibk.ac.at/zid/software/unix/linux/rhel-rebuild.htm

RH only needs to provide the source for software with GPL, LGPL, or
similar licenses.  RH does not need to provide the source for software
with BSD-like licenses.  For instance, I ran into this with Ensim and
Apache.  Ensim distributes there own Apache binary RPM, but not the
associated SRPM, since Apache's license does not require them to do so.

--
Bob Bell