Courier imap (ssl)

ken at flyingtoasters.net ken at flyingtoasters.net
Wed Oct 8 23:58:52 EDT 2003

> I'm in the process of investigating replacing uw's (ssl) imap server
> with courier's.  However, I'd rather not switch m[td]a's from exim to
> courier.  A few question's for y'all:

Implicit in the above statement, but not actually formed as a question, is
the possibility of changing MTAs: DON'T DO IT.  Courier rocks for certain
things (eg. IMAP), but as an MTA, it kinda sucks.  The author (whose name
escapes me at the moment) has an almost religious adherance to RFCs, which
makes for some unpleasantness when non-conforming e-mails come 'round.
I've used Courier-IMAP successfully with both Exim and Qmail, and would be
glad to dig up an Exim config file for you if I still have it around...

> 1) Is there a good guide for newbie's to courier?  Especially wrt uw
> converts?

Courier's decent.  I enjoy it.

> 2) Does courier always use maildir?  I've been using mbox and if I
> didn't have to convert it would be handy.

Yes, it does.  Whether or not there's a way around it (a patch, or
what-have-you) I don't know.  However, let me just say that maildir really
is superior -- it makes a lot of things a lot easier to do.  Depending on
how many mailboxes you have to convert, it can be relatively easy, and I
bet a script wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

> 3) Does anybody have experience with courier that I could bounce some
> specific questions off of?  8)

Fire away; I promise no guruship, but I've used Courier IMAP for the past
year or so in a mid-sized production environment.

-Ken