Courier imap (ssl)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Oct 9 08:45:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:56:53PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:58:52PM -0400, ken at flyingtoasters.net wrote:
> > > 2) Does courier always use maildir?  I've been using mbox and if I
> > > didn't have to convert it would be handy.
> >
> > Yes, it does.  Whether or not there's a way around it (a patch, or
> > what-have-you) I don't know.  However, let me just say that maildir really
> > is superior -- it makes a lot of things a lot easier to do.
>
> Maildir is superior AT SOME THINGS.  Mbox is superior for others.
> I've gone on at lenght about this in the past, so I won't do it again
> now.

Yea, like when you have researchers who don't know the term "clean out
your e-mail" and get 32k+ files in a directory.  Bye-bye inodes, bye-bye
performance (at least under ext2/3 - Reiser would probably be better).
I also have a researcher who insists on using unix mail (mail) to send
and receive his e-mail.  Which isn't Maildir-aware at all.

As an aside, I was curious if ext3 had any real upper limit on number of
files in a directory as I'm configuring qmail w/Maildir to deliver
to NFS home directories.  I wound up finding the answer with google
pointing to an exchange between Ben and Paul.

-Mark