FTP "securing"

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Oct 9 10:17:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:07:30AM -0400, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

> There is more to this problem then I stated originally, but I will come
> clean now. The patches are only available to customers who are on
> support contracts. The problem that we ran into was that using anonymous
> FTP allowed some of the smarter users to bookmark the location, then
> download patches after they went off maintenence. This remains somewhat
> of a problem, because some of the smarter users have copied down the
> username and password as well. I have no problem changing the passwords
> weekly, but there is signifigant push-back from the other offices
> because it is "too inconvenient". So, I would like a way to lock it down
> so that people don't know the username and password for when they go off
> maintenence. I have suggested putting the patches on the web server, but
> then we get into authentication issues (users are authenticated against
> a database that is located in England), as well as other company issues.

A few ideas:

1)  Cache the authentication locally.  Have the username and password
randomly generate once/week.  If a user enters their contract/ID correctly
on the web site, they're given that week's password to access the site.
Since it's automated, that should cut down on the push-back.
By having the authentication local, you reduce network problems and
at worst, a customer has an extra week or so before they're cut off.

2)  Generate per-contract accounts that expire at the termination of
their contract.  Part of renewing the contract is to extend the expiration
date.

-Mark