trying to figure out why mail is bouncing

Kenneth E. Lussier ken.lussier at zuken.com
Fri Oct 31 09:30:13 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 09:19, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:
> would someone kindly let me know what changes I need to make to my host
> file in order to fix this?
>
> J.

It may not be your DNS servers fault. If your ISP is not forwarding
reverse lookups to your DNS server, but trying to answer them
themselves, then that would be the problem. On your DNS server, you
should have have a reverse file (either a rev.x.x.x or db.x.x.x, or
whatever you file aming scheme is). That should have the numbers that
you have in your IP lock. In your named.conf fle, you should have a
section like this:

zone "x.x.x.in-addr.arpa" {
          notify yes;
          type master;
          file "db.x.x.x";
};

Where x.x.x is is the network numbers that you use. The corresponding
file should have:

1	PTR	mail.threeofus.com.
2	PTR	server.threeofus.com.

etc. etc. etc.

C-Ya,
enny

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0