Can I make a suggestion for a sendmail seminar?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Sep 9 17:25:51 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9th 2003 at 16:24 -0400, quoth Mark Fearer:

=>I would be interested. A potential meeting topic (preferrably in Nashua)?
=>
=>Mark Fearer
=>
=>
=>On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>
=>> I would really enjoy a one nighter where someone could spoonfeed a
=>> sendmail programming seminar to me. I'm talking about a lucid talk on how
=>> to read and write subroutines and filters rewrite rules, etc...
=>>
=>> Is anyone else interested in this? Is anyone else up to giving the
=>> lecture?

Excellent. Let's see if I can stimulate this further.

Last time I was up in Nashua, there was a very spirited discussion on the
subject of spam controls.  And there were a few people who on top of that
were sendmail oriented. At the very least, I see this subject as being of
fairly wide common interest.

My personal setup is sendmail + SpamAssassin + spamass-milter(which is set
to reject inline) + a few magic incantations I've picked up over the years
from the 'Net to reject mail which is written in foreign character sets.
Recently I found something which I consider to be Very Cool.

SpamFilters over at http://www.visi.com/~hawkeyd/spamfilters.html is a set
of incantations written in sendmail/m4  which implements additional
database files, two of which I find interesting. One is called matches and
the other is called subject. To reject all mail with Enlargement in
the subject just add the phrase to the subject file and rebuild the db.

It's currently not working for me because it claims to not play nicely
with milters. But at least I now have a goal for what I want to be able to
do. Namely, understand just what this code does. Right now it just looks
like an elephant sat on the top row of my keyboard.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net