adm and address blocking

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Sep 16 10:23:57 EDT 2003

> I find amusing that the adm account on this machine has a mailbox full
> of spam. Amusing tho it may be, how can I stop it from happening?

You can use some kind of spam blocking software. Anything from spamassassin
to a white-list style.

> Additionally, i've been getting attacked from ipt.aol.com. They own the
> address range from 172.128.0.0 - 172.211.255.255 What would be the
> netmask to block a range like that? 172.128.0.0/8 would block the entire
> class B, right?

While blocking a whole range is what a lot of people I know do, I wouldn't,
even more so if it's AOL. Eventually you will know somebody that uses AOL,
or if you have users on your system they will know somebody that uses AOL.

I use a combo of spamassassin and some postfix rules to block stuff
(basically unreadable emails, emails with ADV: in them, or stuff about
enlarging parts of ones body get dumped by postfix.. Everything else gets
dumped by spam assassin).

Unless you use the whitelist approach you will probably never block all
spam.