Need a new laser printer

Steven Knight steven.knight at unh.edu
Sat Sep 20 15:46:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 21:26, John Feole wrote:
> I need a new laser printer as my trusty old LJ2P has decided to stop
> working..I have had no issues whatsoever getting this thing to work with
> a few different flavors of Linux.
>
> Any suggestion on a good replacement?  I want a personal laser
> basically, below $400 preferably..
>
> How are the Samsung ml-1710 with Linux?  or should I stick with HP?

Fantastic.  The ML-1710 is a usb printer.  As long as you have USB
Printer support enabled in your kernel you are all set.  The CD Shipped
in the box contains linux drivers for the printer.

Install cups ( if needed ) and then you can install the printer like
this:

foomatic-configure -s cups -p lp -c usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -n samsung -d gdi

Or you can use the linux LPR software included on the CD.

You can change the -p and -c options as needed.  Once this is done, you
can administer the printer using CUPS's web interface.

Also, I bought the printer at BesyBuy.com ( using there buy online, pick
up store option ) and got a $70 mail-in rebated.  This brought the price
down to $130 with the mail in rebate.

HTH,

Steven Knight  steven.knight at unh.edu   IM : skkataim

and tho' We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

-- Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson