Web Hosting

Brian Karas brian at karas.net
Tue Sep 23 06:49:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 00:52, Greg Bonnette wrote:
> http://www.dotservant.com/webhosting/compareplans.shtml
>
> Their plans seem fair. I am currently using enom.com for
> registrar/dns/pop3 services, but it looks like I can consolidate much
> of that in a dot servant plan and save money. Has anyone had
> experience with them? I like the fact that they offer up raw log
> files, and I do need php/MySQL support. Any feedback or alternatives
> would be greatly appreciated. I am in the market for something
> comparable to their standard plan: $118/yr 150MB Storage / 10GB
> Monthly Transfer.

Description-wise, their plans look fair enough.  You might want to check
around and see what their uptime and customer satisfaction rates are
like, though.  Especially if this is going to be some sort of a
commercial site, which you wouldn't want suffering long outages.

FWIW, raw log files, and PHP/MySQL are fairly standard as well.

I've used Hostway in the past with fairly good success.  I also used
hostignition.com recently (about 1 year ago) with abysmal results.
Bluedomino.com was decent, when everything worked, but they had frequent
outages when I was there (about 2-3 years ago).

All these $40.00/mo and under shared sites work on an economy of scale
that suits the smaller sites, but if you've got a real critical website,
you might want to look more toward the dedicated server market, for
about $150-ish/mo.