Connecting to Comcast

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Sep 23 09:40:42 EDT 2003

In a message dated: 23 Sep 2003 09:30:57 EDT
Kevin D. Clark said:

>pll at lanminds.com writes:
>
>> I found this IP on the web somewhere after googling around.  The
>> question I have is this, how can I access a network for which I have
>> no route?

The question was mostly rhetorical.  I was thinking of the poor slob
with a Windows box who doesn't know this stuff.  Of course, that poor
slob would probably have paid the $100 "professional" installation
fee, rather than just getting suckered out $50 for the "basic"
installation  :)

># assumes eth0 is your external nic
># 10.1.2.3 is arbitrary
>ifconfig eth0 10.1.2.3
>
>route add 192.168.100.1 eth0

Yeah, I tried that, didn't work.

>dhclient eth0  # maybe?

I'll try that tonight.  I was using pump, and Derek reminded me that
pump is sometimes, often times, broken :)

>Hope this helps,

Thanks!
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE