Future (RPM based) linuxen: RHEL, FC, WBEL, Mandrake, SuSE?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon Apr 5 14:53:01 EDT 2004

>>The OP was "what to do as RH keeps changing".  Libranet isn't the answer for
>>everyone, but it isn't sufficiently well known that there are alternaives to
>>RPM.
>

> <RPMBIGOT MODE=ON>
>
>   This is my only real beef here.  It's perpetuated myth about rpm.  Rpm
> is not, I repeat not responsible for the so-called dependency hell that
> many Debianites (hehe) have pontificated about.  It has to do with the
> much more centralized development deb packages.

That's the other thing.. apt is a package MANAGER, it is actually
independed of what you use for the packages (be it deb or rpm) that's
why you can get apt for RPM.

If you just go installing debs from all kinds of places you're probably
going to run into dependency hell eventually, probably not as soon as
with RPMs, only because there are so many people maintainting all kinds
of stuff with RPM. That's why I noticed since RH8 they've been labeling
the RPMs with the distro and version number (mypackaget-1.2.44-RH9.i386.rpm)