Libranet - Free Trial

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Apr 7 10:48:01 EDT 2004

>>Does Libranet contain proprietary software?  It sounds like it is just
>>Debian with a particular mix of their development branches.  If so, the
>>software is all GPL- or OSS-licenced, and can be copied freely.
>

> Not necessarily.  OpenBSD can be copied freely but the CD layout is
> copyrighted by Theo to encourage people to buy the CDs and support the
> OpenBSD project.  It's easy enough to burn your own by downloading
> everything though.

The GPL just says that if you supply the binary that you must make the
source available for free.. You can charge all you want for compiled
binaries.. I don't even think you really have to make the binaries
available for free.. Just the source, and techically only to people that
have the binaries.

At least that's always been my understanding..

Of course since the source is free to copy anybody that gets it is free
to do whatever with it, that's probably why most people don't attempt to
limit access to the source.

this is going to turn into a huge GPL debate now.. I just know it... *sigh*