Server/mail/naming setup theory

Derek Doucette derek at derek.homeunix.org
Tue Apr 13 14:04:00 EDT 2004

Alright, this is big and confusing to me, so if you get lost, feel free to yell at me, or even better, get feedback on what you understand and I'll try to explain better if need be.

So here's my situation, I am running a small web/mail server for basically my personal needs. I recently got a new job with an ISP and found out that my mail was blocked from here and I could not hit the web page. This turned out to be due to dns issues. The original domain name was with dyndns. I found that I could hit the site by IP, and I had to change ports due to my provider blocking port 80.

To make all of this a bit easier for me, I decided to buy a domain name, and set up web forwarding through zone edit. This has worked well so far, but I still haven't set up my e-mail yet. So I can get to my web page, and most people can send me e-mail, but I still get some bouncing back or timing out, due to the DNS lookups. I am looking into getting off of the old domain name, but not sure the best way to do so. my /etc/hosts file is getting bigger and more complicated with many aliases.

So here are some things I'm wondering, and feel free to add in things I have overlooked...

    * How should I set up postfix. For now I would want to receive for both old (me.dyndns.org) to the new host (www.me.org) I know that there are locations to mess with such as $myhost $mydomain, but I'm still new to configuring postfix.
    * Is host forwarding an issue? right now I have www.me.org resolving to the zone edit servers and then forwarding to ww2.me.org:8080, which is my firewall, which forwards to my server. Can I set up mail to go to the domain, or will it need to point to a host? (me at me.org vs. me at mail.me.org)
    * How does mail resolve? Right now mail from me at me.dyndns.org times out from work, but me at me.org gets through fine, so the IP range is not blocked. I believe if I can set up mail to resolve to the domain, then the dns lookup will be ok.
    * If I need to change my e-mail to a host.me.org format, would it be worth it to set up dns on my home network? I get my internet IP dynamically, and all my internal hosts (5) except for my server are dynamic. so if this is the case, I would also be very greatful for some pointers on that.

I'm just kind of at a loss of a direction to start out in, and also what may be the best way to approach this and clean up my setup.

Thanks in advance,
Derek