MELBA Quarterly meeting announcement / advertising

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Thu Apr 15 13:51:00 EDT 2004

At the last meeting at Martha's Exchange, Rob Lembree spoke about doing
a presentation on the GIMP 2.0 (which was just released, and is now at
2.0.1).

I've been hard at work getting my presentation put together, and
improving my GIMP skills so that I can do a great job on the
presentation.  I would like to start announcing the meeting, and really
aim to get a large attendance at the meeting -- giving as much publicity
as possible for GNHLUG, GIMP and Free Software in general.

The focus of my presentation on GIMP 2.0 is on the user who wants to
learn what can you do with free software design tools (specifically GIMP
and touch on the subject of what other tools like Blender and  are
available).  Note that GIMP 2.0, and other tools *are* available for
Windows and MacIntosh, so  it's not only intended for a Linux audience.

Since the date is only two weeks away, I would like to get feedback from
the whole list.

I thought I should create some graphic flyers to 'advertise' the
meeting. I was thinking of themes like "Stand out from the crowd, learn
design on free software"  Anyway, what are your thoughts on getting good
attendence, and starting announcements now?  Would you be interested to
  print flyers and post them somewhere if artwork were provided?

Are there any other outlets you can tap into to spread the word about
the meeting?  I actually have a complete press contact list for the
state of NH, but prefer to make contacts through 'word of mouth' so if
you participate in any other groups, please spread the word.  Anyone
interested in making an announcement about the meeting should wait until
we have the meeting announcement message drafted (by tomorrow?).  I want
to coordinate with Rob Lembree and/or Dave Long to ensure that
everything is setup.

I'm wondering specifically if we should have a RSVP setup in case
attendance exceeds capacity.

My updated presentation is attached if you want to look at it and give
feedback.  I will not do all the tutorials, but they are listed for your
convenience.  I would like to know what level of GIMP user you are, so I
can focus on doing appropriate demonstrations.

All suggestions, feedback and participation are welcome!

- Greg

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business