Administrivia: Subject line tagging

p.lussier at comcast.net p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 20:44:01 EDT 2004

In a message dated: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:21:32 EDT
Jason Stephenson said:

>I have a request that I'd like to put up for discussion. I think it
>would be very handy if subject lines of messages sent to/from the
>gnhglug lists were prepended with the list name in brackets. This would
>facilitate filtering of messages into appropriate mail folders without
>having to scan all the headers looking for the right bit of information.
>As it is now, messages to the discuss list could contain
>disscuss at gnhlug.org or gnhlug-discuss@ or not even contain those if the
>message was a BCC. (Why you'd BCC to a list, I don't know, but you could.)

This procmail recipe has been working on gnhlug mail for me for more than
a decade with very few changes:

  :0
  * ^(From|TO|Cc):.*(gnhlug)
  |rcvstore +Mlists/GNHLUG

Note the distinct lack of a 'Subject' line search criteria.

> Seems that every weekend when I plan to do this, my wife comes up
> with some "more important" to do.

Wives are like that :)  I've got so many projects on my 'ToDo' list
it's ridiculous.  That's why I'm a sysadmin, I go to work to play with
things I think would be fun to do at home ;)

>Anyway, I think that subject line tagging would be helpful. What do
>others think?

Personally, I hate it.  It adds a minimum of 8 characters to the subject
line for absolutely no gain (at least to me).  Also, I often read e-mail
on my cell phone, which has a non-threaded mail client.  It's really tough
to tell which messages you want to read when you only have 6-10 characters
for the subject line. To have every message with a subject of "[ GNHLUG ]"
or worse, "Re: [ GNHL" would be a royal p.i.t.a.

My vote (for what that's worth) is no.

Thanks for asking though :)

Seeya,
Paul