Filtering on List-Id (was Re: Administrivia: Subject line tagging)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Apr 20 22:30:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, at 2:03pm, invalid at pizzashack.org wrote:
>> But anyway, the "List-Id" header is guaranteed to be present and the same
>> for all messages delivered through this mailing list.  So, one should
>> filter on that, and not anything else, to identify list mail.
>
> This is a point worth taking note of.  Filtering ONLY on list-id  can
> fail.

  That depends on your intent.  My use of the phrase "delivered through this
mailing list" was deliberate.  Mails sent privately do not deliver through
this list.

  I regard mail sent privately as, well, private, and separate from list
mail.  I'm not asking that anyone agree with me, but that's the way I treat
it.  I also consider people who just spam everyone they can on every reply
they make to be somewhat rude.  Excessive use of "Reply All" can cause mail
header cancer.  :)

> I will also note for the record that the List-ID header for this list
> appears to have a small error...  I think there's a '.' where the '@'
> should be.

  No, the header is correct.  The List-ID is
<gnhlug-discuss.mail.gnhlug.org>.  Just dots; no at-sign.  The List-ID is
not the same thing as the list posting address.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>