Problem (was: Re: need help with tool requirement)

Kevin D. Clark kdc at rcn.com
Wed Apr 21 10:09:00 EDT 2004

Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> writes:

> I also don't think that any company that is writing software for these
> electronic voting machines is going to try to fix the elections.. The
> risk is far to great for the companies and the people running the
> companies. That's not to say an outside party won't try.

Three things:

1:  There are an awful lot of rewards out there for a company who
    *did* do this.

2:  Electronic voting machines can still miscount votes through
    programming error.  There have been many documented occurances of
    this already.

3:  Electronic voting machines might suffer from security problems.
    These might be an attack vector that would allow a nefarious group
    to rig an election.  Security researchers who have audited some
    voting machine systems have already found big problems.

Without more audits and without a paper trail, many people will
continue to mistrust these systems.

--kevin
 president next year".
 -- Walden O'Dell