Problem

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Apr 21 10:38:00 EDT 2004

Mark Komarinski wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:07:44AM -0400, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
>
>>>What approach would provide sufficient assurance that the code
>>>does not contain any "Easter eggs" or trap doors to allow
>>>future egg-laying?
>>
>>That's a tough question, but any solution that doesn't include a
>>non-corruptible audit trail (paper) is flawed.
>

> I'm not sure if this is MA wide (I forget what other towns did)
> but my town has scantron-ish forms that you may remember from
> the SAT.  Get the paper ballot, fill in the ovals with a marker,
> run it through the scanner on the way out and the ballot goes
> into a vault.  No idea if the scanner makes sure the ballot is
> valid, given that I fill it out properly each time.  I think.

That was kind of my point. How do you know those things are not flawed
in some way, or fixed? How do you know if it counted your vote
correctly? Forget about new fangled computers, I'm talking about
exsisting systems. What if something happened and it switches Dems for
Reps or something like that.. Unless a recount is demanded we would
really never know.