System monitoring

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Apr 22 14:47:00 EDT 2004

> Hi all - I was wondering what experiences folks on the list have had
> with various centralized (software based) system monitors.  I'm thinking
> something along the lines of Big Brother (http://bb4.com) but open
> sourced.
>
> I'm currently looking at Big Sister (http://bigsister.graeff.com) but
> I'm curious to hear if anybody else has experiences with other packages
> that they like?  What do you like about it?  How easy was it to set up?
> (etc)

I've got Big Sister running on my home net.  I like it better then Big
Brother.  Having historical data in the form of graphs is very useful.

A central syslog server and filters to report on it is a good thing to
have.  I've used MRTG to get historical data too.  If you have SNMP
everywhere, it's great.