On Nh living and commutes..

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Apr 22 15:57:00 EDT 2004

On Thursday, Apr 22nd 2004 at 15:09 -0400, quoth Jared Watkins:

=>Hello all...
=>
=>I've been on this list since october because of my interest in the free
=>state project.. and the ideas behind it...  now it seems the goal of
=>moving to your part of the world is a little closer.  I'll be coming up
=>there for an interview in Cambridge on the 5th... and while I'm there I
=>plan to check out the area around boson.. and Salem NH.  I've worked
=>exclusively with linux since graduating in 98..  and I'm pleased to be
=>able to say that.
=>
=>I'd like to get an impression of what traffic is like between these
=>places... if anyone on list does this commute... and if it's at all
=>reasonable to expect to be able to live somewhere in NH and work in
=>cambridge. For comparison... I'm in charlotte and work downtown.. live
=>on the outskirts about 20 miles away.  Off peak that drive takes me
=>20-30 min on the main roads.  During rush hours it is usually an hour.
=>Of course.. here we don't have any sort of mass transit...  Is it common
=>for people to commute on trains/buses?  Here the buses are so bad.. it
=>can take you 90-120 minutes just to go cross town... and you might be
=>taking your life in your own hands in dealing with some of the other
=>passengers.
=>
=> From what I've been able to find out... MA taxes are not nearly as bad
=>as they once were... so I don't think it would too bad if I ended up
=>living there... but I'm looking for a little local insight.

Where to start... If you live in town and work in Cambridge, that's
different than going towards the city every day. And I'm saying different
Bad, not different Good. If you live in Salem then you'll be coming down
93 with all the traffic and leaving to go back at night with all the
traffic. If I were you (and I'm not last time I checked), I'd much rather
be working outside of the city. Also, if you do work in Cambridge, you
might want to think about living west instead of north. (I really have no
presumptions about how much you want to spend on living expenses.) But
consider living west of Cambridge instead. Something somewhat near to
Route 2 or even the Mass Pike may be easier. That opens up towns like the
area subtended by Belmont, Arlington, Watertown, Newton, Marlboro,
Westboro, etc. This isn't going to make anything better, just give you
more options.

Steve from framingham working (today) in marlboro.

steveo at syslang.net