On Nh living and commutes..

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Thu Apr 22 16:39:01 EDT 2004

Travis Roy wrote:

>> I've been on this list since october because of my interest in the
>> free state project.. and the ideas behind it...  now it seems the
>> goal of moving to your part of the world is a little closer.
>

> First let me say that I think the free state project is stupid.. But
> that's me personally.. I was just reviewing the site again to get a
> refresher and I still think it's a stupid idea..

Yea... I know what you mean...  I'm not even an official member of the
project.. but it does interest me.  I like most of the ideas of the
libertarian party.. but without actually liking the party as it exists
today.. if that makes sense.  I also have my eye on a few other
countries that are doing a better job in this area... and one of these
days I'm sure I'll be moving to one of them.

>> I'll be coming up there for an interview in Cambridge on the 5th...
>> and while I'm there I plan to check out the area around boson.. and
>> Salem NH.  I've worked exclusively with linux since graduating in
>> 98..  and I'm pleased to be able to say that.
>

> While working exclusively with Linux is great, it's very limiting.. I
> encourage you to get out there and start tinkering with other OSes, be
> it Windows, OSX, *BSD. You want to be at

I'll clarify... I CAN (and have) done admin work with windows and bsd
boxes... I've always worked in mixed environments... but my preference
is to work with linux and other open source software and be able to make
a good living doing it....  that is what I'm pleased to have been able
to do...  to stick to the platform I prefer.  I'm also pleased that
there is so much going on with linux right now that I should be able to
maintain this approach for the foreseeable future.

> Living in Mass? Isn't the point of the free state project to live in NH?

It is... but I'm not wedded to it...  if the commute makes it
impractical I'll look for something in MA.

Thanks for the feedback..
Jared