Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Dana S. Tellier dana.tellier at unh.edu
Fri Apr 23 11:03:01 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Buskey" <tom at buskey.name>
To: <gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: On Nh living and commutes..
> My mother used to live in NH before she retired.  The propety tax was
> killing her ($5000 or so) so she moved acrss the river to VT and found she
> got much of her property tax back every year.  VT takes into account your
> income tax (she has very little income) and refunds property tax based on
> that.  For someone w/ little income, property tax is an unfair burden.

    Well, there are lots of exemptions available, depending on the
circumstance.  Did she talk to the town assessor about her situation?  I
know that in Manchester, there are elderly & handicapped exemptions, as well
as low-income exemptions, if I recall.  The same should be available in all
municipalities in NH, at least.

 - Dana