On Nh living and commutes..

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Fri Apr 23 14:50:01 EDT 2004

bmcculley at rcn.com wrote:

>Folks moving here discover it is public fiscal policy, and you
>get what you pay for in quality of services, like public
>transit and schools.  TANSTAAFL.
>

>and organize the cooperative services that modern society
>requires.  Solid waste disposal anyone?  Or water/sewer plants?

I see your points... but since I started this thread I suppose I should
chip in my 2c..  Of course I have not lived there.. and can't speak
about specifics but these are just my general thoughts on the issues you
raised.

I am a happily-single guy with no kids...  and I don't require much in
the way of services from my state.  Waterworks is a public utility.. as
is power... to an extent...  but if I choose to live in the middle of
nowhere I have to be prepared to generate my own.  Trash pickup can be
handled by a private company.. if there is a demand for it someone will
provide the service.

The same can/should be said for schools... I see nothing wrong with
private schools... if tax funded schools were not mandated there would
be more demand for private schools... and I think the market would
provide for most educational needs without all the baggage,
indoctrination and waste that goes along with a juggernaut like public
education.

I like that we have 50 separate states that are allowed to do things
their own way... I don't like the continued centralization of power at
the federal level.  If someone wants to be cared for from cradle to
grave there are plenty of states out there that will oblige them.
Personally I don't want to live in places like that because I want to
hold on to the fruits of my labor and not have them redistributed to
anyone who has a hand out.

Where I currently live.. the powers that be are constantly trying to
make charlotte into a 'world class city' and lately that means going
forward with a doomed light rail system. The version people voted on was
priced at 500mil...  a year later they are projecting 5-6 billion... and
I challenge anyone to show me a public transit system that solves any of
the problems it

gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org

set out to solve (pollution, congestion, sprawl).. or is self
sufficient.  I could go into a whole rant about the smartgrowth nonsense
that has been running wild around the country..  but that's another
email.  =]

Also... linux and other tech is allowing people to have more freedom of
movement than at any other time in history... so if you don't like how
things are done where you are... move.

As always... this is IMHO so take it as you will...

Jared