Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 15:44:01 EDT 2004

--- Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> What Derek is pointing out is that you can buy a piece of property. Say
> a normal house (old, but normal) with the idea to say build a room on
> the back and paint it green.. Well a year after you buy it the town
> makes your house part of a historical zone.. Now you can't add that new
> bedroom for you kid on the way, and you're forced to paint your house
> one of 4 colors..

Got it.  (Note to self:  Don't buy old house.)

> Zoning laws are meant to control usage and growth. They are not there to
> make it extreamly hard to add an addition, force you into paint colors,
> or force you to have to pay $200 per window for a special storm window
> because they won't let you get rid of the double hungs that came with
> the house.

Perhaps not zoning laws per se.  But town laws governing historic property are in
essence the same thing - the many dictating to the few what they can do with their
own property.

> Moving in knowing that the place is in a historical district is one
> thing.. having your house all of a sudden end up in a historical
> district is another.

No argument there.  My only question is how often does something like that actually
happen?  It certainly wasn't the case of the barn which originated this thread.

> If people don't want me to modernize my house by changing the windows to
>   effectient, cheap, vinyl windows, change the siding to vinyl siding,
> force me to have historical landscaping then they can flip the bill for
> all my heat going out my shitty old windows, the repainting of my house
> when it needs it, and a landscaping staff..

Agreed.

-Mike-

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"
-George Bernard Shaw