Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Sat Apr 24 00:37:01 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:34:32PM -0700, Michael Costolo wrote:
> > Additionally, you need not have a historic landmark law to enforce
> > this kind of thing.  There are other existing laws to deal with your
> > Walmart case.
>
> Fine.  So WalMart may have been a bad example.  Let's change it to
> "put in condos."

This case is the same.  A developer buys up property, builds condos to
sell them or rent them out.  He is not a private citizen, he is a
business.  There is zero difference.  FWIW, it doesn't matter if he
wants to build houses on that property...  It's still a business, and
the citizens should have the right to vote on it.

> > What is always bad is whenever it does happen, the private land owner
> > gets screwed.  When such a zoning goes into effect, the owner loses
> > rights to their own property, to a large extent, and it becomes more
> > difficult to sell for the same reasons, and they receive no
> > compensation for all this.  I'd love to see you try to explain how
> > that's not unfair.
>
> In that scenario I agree.  But how often do historical zones and
> their subsequent regulation get suddently thrust upon unsuspecting
> landowners?

Um, only... every single time they are created?

> And what about the case like the barn in Bedford where the land was
> *already* in a historical zone prior to ownership?

This is still not the same as someone buying the property.  She
inherited it from someone who already owned it.

> > Precisely why it should take more than a handful of empassioned
> > lunatics [not that all who vote on zoning issues are empassioned
> > lunatics] at a town meeting to vote in favor of something like
> > this...  Like, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to vote on a re-zoning
> > of a district, unless you live in that district, or at a property
> > which is immediately adjacent to it.  Or, if you feel the whole
> > community should have a say, then it should take a majority of the
> > /citizens/ to pass such a measure... not just a majority of the 15
> > people who show up at the town meeting.
>
> I believe the town can decide what it takes to enact historical
> zones.  I'm sure that gives you no solace though.

Yeah, the town can.  But that doesn't make it fair...  Which has been
my point from the start.

> "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
> those who have not got it"

Indeed.

-=-=-=-=-
Despite the ever-increasing complexities of human society and the advancement
of science and technology, the most perplexing problems that face most people
remain what to eat for lunch today, and who to sleep with tonight.
-=-=-=-=-