OT taxes thread

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Sat Apr 24 02:49:00 EDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:27:20AM -0400, Dana S. Tellier wrote:
> From: "Derek Martin" <invalid at pizzashack.org>
>
> <snip>
> Yeah, the town can.  But that doesn't make it fair...  Which has been
> my point from the start.
> </snip>
>
>     Not to prolong this, but I can't resist at this late hour... so *that's*
> your point, Derek?!

Yes.

> I've learned since then that yes, life is unfair... but I've also
> learned that instead of just being bitter and cynical about the
> world, I should actually try to improve it, one person at a time.

That's exactly what I'm doing.  If enough empassioned lunatics become
convinced that this kind of thing isn't fair, maybe they'll think
twice about doing it next time.  So, I spend lots of time ranting at
potential empassioned lunatics, to try and convince them...  ;-)

>     I guess I just don't understand how saying "That isn't *fair*!" (as I've
> often noted from my 4+ years lurking on this list) really helps things.
> Makes me think of that chick in the movie "Labyrinth."  And as Jareth the
> Goblin King says back to her, I also say to you... "You say that so often.
> I wonder what your basis of comparison is."

Jennifer Connelly's character was complaining hopelessly about her
situation.  I'm doing no such thing.  I'm engaging in a discussion
with you and others, to hopefully highlight why this kind of thing is
unfair, and should be stopped.  The rest is up to you...

-=-=-=-=-