sniffers

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 23:05:01 EDT 2004

One thing that might affect which tool you decide to use - if you need an
intrusion detection system, you might want to use snort. I've used Ethereal
in an all windows environment to track down worms/trojans. In that scenario
you might only need 5 or 10 seconds worth of traffic. But if you are looking
for potential intruders, Snort is very powerful and can be configured to
trap intruders more easily. Check out: www.snort.org for more info. Ethereal
can be found at: www.ethereal.com After poking around a bit on the Ethereal
web site I found that it's licensed under GNU (doesn't quite jive with the
.com web site).

-Alex