1U servers..

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Mon Apr 26 21:15:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 08:56, Travis Roy wrote:
> To help get the list back on track..
>
> Anybody know of a decent 1U server, for cheap (under a grand if not
> under $500) with good Linux support.
>
> I'm looking for a secondary server to setup at work here with my colo
> but I'm already pushing the envelope for space they gave me for free.

Well, it's a little challenging to get a rack mount for that little.
Fortunately it is not impossible! I've seen the HP Proliant DL140
servers provide very good value in a 1U rack mount. While you can get
the very cheapest model they sell for $899 you will find that you
very much want to add in the optional CD-ROM drive for $100. Otherwise
how will you install Linux on it? So that puts the price a buck under
your limit.

The things run Linux really well, no special driver munging needed.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director