Cyrus [Was: Stop the maddness!]

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Apr 27 08:01:00 EDT 2004

Paul Iadonisi wrote:

> You might want to consider using a cyrus-imapd based solution with
> server side sieve scripts.
>
> And as quickly as I stepped into this conversation, I'm now ducking
> out.  However, I'd be perfectly happy to expound on my cyrus-imapd /
> sieve / sendmail / mysql (or postgresql) / SMTP AUTH solution
> complete with virtual hosting if anyone's interested :-).

I am interested.

I usually use Courier IMAP / Procmail / Postfix for clients. Of course,
I've never gotten around to doing that for my own company, so we still
use WU-IMAP / Postfix. (Something I've been meaning to change for years.)

I wanted to use Cyrus some years ago, but, at the time, it was
documentation deficient (at least to me). What's the benefit of Cyrus
over Courier? (Not to start a flamewar, just curious.)

I've heard of Sieve, but never used it. Sounded interesting.

I suspect I have not implemented SMTP AUTH in the best way and would
like to hear how someone else has done it.

So, expound away here, if you would, please.

Now that we've segwayed to a new topic, thanks Paul.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272