SCO

Jeff Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 1 07:56:01 EDT 2004

--- Jon maddog Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> To be clear, SCO does not own the trademark of Unixware.
> The Open Group owns both the trademarks "Unix" and
> "Unixware".
>
> Please see:
>
> http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> md

thanks, my mistake.  One problem in this is the sales
agreement between SCO and Caldera (New SCO) has never been
made public, so what exactly Caldera purchased (for that
matter, what SCO had the right to sell) is murky.  I
strongly suspect copyrights on the various versions of
"Unix" out of ATT were never transfered to anyone, because
of the early history of Unix.  Who actually owns what?

Again, groklaw.net does cover this, my mistake.

jeff