Fwd: philosophical question about gmail

Jeff Macdonald macfisherman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:44:01 EDT 2004

and another

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Macdonald <macfisherman at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:38:47 -0400
Subject: Re: philosophical question about gmail
To: "Kevin D. Clark"

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:00:38 -0400, Kevin D. Clark <clark_k at pannaway.com> wrote:
<snip>

> So, I'm just bringing the issue up.
>
> > Even a individual could use the content from the list for their own
> > personal gain, couldn't they?
>
> I suppose.  I've even learned things from this list that I've probably
> used to do my job better.
>
> But that's different than enriching some third party company like
> Google, even if it is Google's mantra to do no harm.  I haven't read
> Google's user agreement exhaustively, but I assume that it has the
> standard "this agreement is subject to change at any time at our
> whim", right?

So could the agreements for Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.

<snip>

> > Another way to look at it is this, should I be penalized for using a
> > system that provides more storage which uses the content to help pay
> > for a free service?
>
> You *could* use a service with less storage that didn't scan incoming
> mail.  But as a third party, I had no choice in the matter -- because
> you (apparently) subscribed to the GNHLUG now my mails are being
> scanned by Gmail...

Or ignored by a spam filter from some other providers. The ads are
mostly relevant to the content whereas other providers ads add no
value.  I'm pretty sure all mail is scanned in some way. Google is
probably the only one besides spam/virus authors making money from it.

Some one, be it a company or an individual, is going to 'profit' in
some way from content on a mailing list. I don't think that's bad.
Someone profits from my viewing habits on TV. Someone profits from my
browsing habits on the web. I understand that you can choose who does
in most of these cases by not watching or surfing to certain places.
However I'd be surprised if mailing lists start to ban subscribers
from certain email addresses.

I wonder if google is thinking of honoring a 'dont-scan-me' header,
perhaps they can use the don't archive header too.

If you are truly concerned about this I'm willing to have gmail delete
all messages from you. I'd rather not, but if it bothers you enough I
will.

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA