Fwd: philosophical question about gmail

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 4 17:01:59 EDT 2004

It's no business of mine if a gmail user gets
ads shoved in front of them, but I certainly
don't want gmail's ads being shoved in front
of ME simply because I happen to be on the same
list with a gmail user.

I'd assume the pool of eyeballs available here
on the GNHLUG list to be highly desirable to an
advertiser, but Google has provided the GNHLUG
with precisely nothing in return for access
to those eyeballs.  Of course, the fact that
they're all likely to be obscenely rich after
the imminent IPO has nothing to do with my total
lack of sympathy toward them...  ;->

FYI, I'm on another list which is hosted on some
Yahoo machines in return for Yahoo being allowed
to tack some relatively inoffensive ads onto the
end of each msg, but that's OK because it's the
price we pay for using their gear..