Lost my partition table - can I recover?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Aug 5 11:26:00 EDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 10:27, Scott Garman wrote:

> I'm not sure - the RAID controller says that data loss will occur if
> you
> delete a logical drive. I mistakenly deleted the logical drive of this
> disk. It takes no time at all for this to take effect, so I assumed
> that
> it just deleted the partition table.

Some RAID controllers put a 'wrapper' on the disk for the RAID
metainfo.  Then there's a 'container' section that get presented to the
OS/BIOS as the 'disk'.

Sometimes if you get the disk hooked up off the RAID controller, you
can scan for the real partition table (look in the magic file) and
mount the disk with an offset using the loopback device.

-Bill
----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com