Site defaced - what next?

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Fri Aug 6 13:18:00 EDT 2004

>If they are not local, the community which they live in is probably
>interested in knowing who they are and what they do as well.

Still no definate answers, mostly b/c I have not had time to do anything
but redirect the site.  But the logs show a significant amount of
traffic from Saudi Arabia, and the site was defaced with arabic and a
picture of Osama Bin Laden.  So it looks like a free software developer
is a victim of retaliatory strikes due to the war on terror.

>Did the server get rooted as well? or just defaced ?  If its not rooted,
>then you may have some log file information that may be useful.  (of
>course even if its there, it may not help, depends on the sophistication
>of the attacker.)

No answer from the ISP yet

>Also - would you consider putting up a honeypot?  If they attacked once,
>they may try again and it would be much easier to find out who it is
>if a honeypot is active.

I don't think it is worth the trouble.  They are untouchable, and I'll
be busy rebuilding the site.

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business