CDROM question

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Aug 10 09:10:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 18:54, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 16:59, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 16:28, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> > > If /proc/ide/hdb/capacity contains a non-zero number, then there's a CD
> > > in the drive. (Assuming you have a cd drive at /dev/hdb). This appears
> > > to work for both audio and data cdroms.
> >
> > Interesting trick, but it seems to react differently on my system.
>
> I'm using kernels 2.4.20-27.7 and  2.4.20-31.9. What kernel you?

2.4.26 - grabbed the source from debian and built it

> Odd. I think you discovered a bug
> somewhere. Or someone changed how error handling works.

I wonder if this is something I should report to somebody?  The question
is who?

On the other hand, I'm going to be "upgrading" this system from debian
woody to debian sarge within a week or so.  Perhaps I should wait and
see if that affects it at all...

--
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like
a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc