OT: Re: Site defaced - what next?

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Aug 10 10:31:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:58:59PM -0400, Marc Nozell wrote:
> gnhlug = greater new hampshire libertarian users group? ;-)
>
> For those folks interested in discussing political
> theories, libertarian or otherwise, here are some
> websites that may interest you.

This mailing list is dedicated to general discussions of and
related to Linux.  Linux is a Unix-like kernel written specifically so
that it could be released under a license like the GPL.  The GPL
exists entirely for 100% political reasons.  For that reason, Linux is
inherently a political animal.  Furthermore, Linux is a piece of
technology which, by its very nature, is encouched in a variety of
other political issues, such as copyrights and DRM, patent and IP law,
and how all of those things are enforced, for example.

As such, anyone who tries to suggest that Linux is unrelated to
politics, and that therefore political discussions are off-topic on a
Linux-related general discussion mailing list (such as this one), is
barking up the wrong tree.

Finally, geeks tend to be (in my experience, anyway) a bit more
idealistic than the average non-techie.  These factors combine to
ensure that political topics will be discussed on Linux-related
mailing lists.  You may as well get used to it, because it's
inevitable.  I respectfully suggest that rather than wasting bandwidth
complaining, you become familiar with your mailer's delete-thread
function, or equivalent...  In general, it's a more effective
solution.

-=-=-=-=-