wipe utility

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Fri Aug 13 13:00:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 12:53, Fred wrote:
> How is "wipe" any different from "shred", which is already on your linux
> system?

Dunno.  Could be that they're basically the same.

> I keep my /tmp partition as ext2 for that sole reason. Anything
> sensitive goes there, and I can shred it afterwards.

If you want to be more secure, you could always have /tmp be a tmpfs
(aka a ram disk).  Then the data is never stored on a hard drive
anyway.

Well, excluding swap I suppose.  Nevermind.

--
Computers are like air conditioners:
They stop working properly when you open windows.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com