rant on pathetic example of Microsoft FUD

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Aug 14 11:27:00 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 10:24, Hewitt Tech wrote:
> You bring up an interesting observation about Microsoft's application
> products. Microsoft seems to specialize in making applications that are
> incompatible or difficult to mimic. One product that I found rather
> obnoxious is their "Picture It" product. All I needed was a tool to create
> picture albums that could be easily setup on a web site. The application
> insisted on inserting links to the Microsoft web site which were "no
> return". If you inadvertently clicked on one of the "Picture It" links you
> found your browser sitting on the Microsoft web site and clicking the back
> button wouldn't return you to the picture album. Really annoying and totally
> gratuitous.
>
> Another Microsoft application that locks you in (don't they all?) is their
> Publisher product. If you create web pages with it, you can forget about
> using any other tool to access the source.
>
> -Alex

Micro$oft reminds me strongly of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation in
Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, whose founders will be up against the
wall when The Revolution comes.

They've even tried to introduce "Pleasant Personalities" into some of
their products, such as that annoying and totally unhelpful paper-clip
in Office, and "Microsoft Bob", if anyone recalls that abortion.

Up against the wall, Balmer and Gates...

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.