Can't boot from Core 2 CD

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Aug 17 10:30:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:15:17AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I used xcdroast to make the cds and now I'm not sure I trust them. What
> commandline tool should I use to burn them correctly?

First, find out what your SCSI identifiers for your CD-ROM are (you
must be root):

  # cdrecord -scanbus
  [SNIP mostly useless info]
  scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-R2002' '1W26' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

From this we can see that my CD burner is SCSI 0,0,0.  So we'll use
that info in cdrecord's dev= parameter.  Then use something like this
to burn the CDs:

  # cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -data isoimage.iso

You may want to specify the speed to burn at if your system can't
guess the right speed of your drive, or if burning at your drive's
maximum speed tends to produce bad disks.  Check the man page for more
details.

-=-=-=-=-