GRUB and two HDs

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Tue Aug 17 10:56:01 EDT 2004

Got too clever for myself again.

I have a ThinkPad with built-in 60 Gb drive with WinXP install, which I
need for my day job. I bought a second hard drive, 80 Gb, with a caddy
to fit it into the expansion slot, and installed Fedora Core 2 on it.
When I boot the machine, I have a choice of WinXP or FC, which is what
I'd like to have happen.

Unfortunately, this only works if both drives are in the system. If
there's only the built-in drive, it boot to greet me with "GRUB " and a
blinking cursor. I had expected that I still would have seen the menu,
but only the Windows option would have worked. So, grub has only
inserted a loader into the MBR, and still needs to read the menu from
the second drive?

What's the easiest way to get it to boot to Windows if that's the only
drive, and give me the option if both drives are inserted? Should I use
parted to shrink and move the NTFS partition and create a boot
partition on the built-in drive, or is there a better way?

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com