GRUB and two HDs

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Tue Aug 17 11:48:00 EDT 2004

Ted Roche wrote:
> So, grub has only inserted a loader into the MBR, and still needs to read
> the menu from the second drive?

Correct.

> What's the easiest way to get it to boot to Windows if that's the only
> drive, and give me the option if both drives are inserted?

I like Dan's suggestion.  Probably the safest and easiest thing to do.

> Should I use parted to shrink and move the NTFS partition and create a boot
> partition on the built-in drive, or is there a better way?

Yes, you could shrink the NTFS partition.  Or if you have a FAT16 or FAT32
partition you could just create a "boot" directory and copy your /boot
partition contents to it.  I think you'd then have to reinstall Grub to the
MBR so it knows where to find the "boot" directory.

Larry