MS Exchange Server competition

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Aug 17 11:53:01 EDT 2004

On Aug 17, 2004, at 08:20, Kevin D. Clark wrote:

> What does MAPI give an end-user that all of the other open protocols
> (SMTP, POP, IMAP, LDAP, MIME, whatever calendar protocol/scheme you're
> using, etc) don't already provide?

It's not the wire protocol, it's the client-side API that gives you
things like 'mail this document' in a word processor.  So given the
MAPI API as a black box, you can write one that speaks IMAP, WebDAV,
etc. out the other end.  If I understand it correctly, you can
implement all of Microsoft's undocumented MAPI calls and translate them
into your own calls and in theory implement an Exchange replacement
that doesn't behave like Exchange on the network.

I've also heard that Samsung Contact, formerly HP OpenMail, is
Exchange-compatible at the network level, costs about the same as
Exchange but is unix-reliable.  Anybody here have experience with it?

-Bill
----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com