Email security

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sun Aug 22 20:39:01 EDT 2004

Jeff Macdonald wrote:

>Has anyone tried Hushmail? That is a system that seems to provide end
>to end encryption and the data is encypted on their end too.

Yes. I've used it for various projects. It works pretty well. It is a
basic webmail system.
I have not used the Outlook plugin (they don't have any other email
client components).

I have several clients who receive encrypted emails with credit card
orders for products
from their web sites. The orders are encrypted using their public PGP
Hushmail keys on
the ecommerce server end. They go to the Hushmail webmail system to view
the decrypted
orders. It works adequately for that purpose.

There's a white paper touting their approach here:
http://corp.hush.com/info_center/document_library/hush_patent_wp.pdf

They claim to not keep the private keys accessible. The messages are
stored encrypted. The security appears adequate for
my purposes.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272