Auth/system-auth & POP3 daemon

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Aug 24 08:35:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, at 12:43am, brian at datasquire.net wrote:
> I'm beginning to wonder if the identd service is somehow sending the
> request to the client to identify itself to 10.x.x.x.....

  AFAIK, identd doesn't initiate requests, it only responds to them.  I
expect either xinetd or the POP3 server you're using is sending the identd
request to the client system, not getting an answer, and timing out after 30
seconds.  I know xinetd can be configured to do this (see xinetd.conf(5)
manpage).

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>